14 Aug The Disturbing Truth Revealed
My colleagues and I often rant about the unfortunate amount of alluring hype that exists online about making money fast. It’s so easy to actually believe this stuff if you are a small or solo business struggling to survive, or even if you’re just tired of working so darn hard.
Make $1,000,000 in seven days!
Yes I actually saw this on a website and undoubtedly some people were falling for it. Why would someone make a promise like that? Because they are afraid that you won’t buy from them if they don’t and because they are touching their readers’ hot button-financial freedom. Don’t fall prey to this ridiculousness.
This is a lesson for all of us about integrity in marketing. It’s also a sad lesson about how we don’t like hearing the naked truth and we search for the easy way out.
The truth is that if you started a business and thought it would be easy, you’ve definitely been misled. Many businesses fail to flourish because the real truth is:
- You’ll need to work really, really hard-especially during the first few years
- You will go through a steep learning curve that may take you outside your comfort zone
- You’ll need courage, unbelievable determination and laser like focus
Chances are you’ll face many of these roadblocks
- You will procrastinate
- You won’t know where to start
- You’ll think, dream and do research, but will fail to take action
- You’ll feel overwhelmed with ideas begging to be turned into projects
- You’ll be confused as to what to pursue next
- You’ll be bombarded with daily tasks and your to do list will never end
- You’ll sometimes make excuses, like not having the time or money you need to succeed
- You’ll sometimes think you don’t have what it takes to succeed
- You’ll sometimes fail to follow through or feel stuck
- You’ll even settle for less than you deserve sometimes, just to get the business
- You’ll skip the planning and strategy because you think you have no time.
You might be nodding your head in agreement, but using language like that would probably discourage sales.
That’s why some marketers make promises they can’t keep. However, facing the truth will set you free to reach a level of success you can’t even imagine. I know that from first hand experience and from what I’ve seen my clients experience.
We’re all human, we all face these roadblocks. Acknowledging them and seeking solutions instead of looking for a quick fix is the only way to get past them.
Depressed yet? Here’s the good news.
First of all, I’m assuming that if you’re reading this, you are determined to be your own boss and build a successful small business, no matter what it takes.
The good news is that you can overcome every one of those roadblocks with the right support and help. You are not an island. With the right mentoring, coaching and resources from someone who has been in your shoes, experienced what you’re experiencing and moved forward to achieve success, you will be able to bust through roadblocks quickly, be held accountable, kept on track and accelerate the growth of your business in a big way.
That’s why I love being a coach and mentor. When I see someone breakthrough it’s the biggest thrill in the world. When a client starts making the money they dreamed of and they feel great about their accomplishment, well, there’s nothing like it.